i like to work outside, at a park, on the beach, etc. For years I’ve made do with regular laptops, but all those year’s I’ve really wanted an e-ink laptop to avoid the squinting and the headaches and the search for shade. The pixel-qi displays raised my hopes, but those were quickly dashed when they closed their doors. For a brief time there were two e-ink laptops for sale. They were quite underpowered and expensive, but more importantly they’re no longer around.
Maybe it’s time to build one. There are many ways one could go about it:
- Get a toughbook with a transflective display
- Get a rooted nook and run vncclient connected to a server on my laptop or in a vm
- Get a dasung e-ink monitor connected to my laptop. Not cheap, and dubious linux support.
- Actually it seems an external pixel-qi display may be available right now. Still pretty steep price.
- Attach a keyboard to a nook and use that standalone
- Get a used pixelqi, put it in some sort of case, and hook it up as a separate display
- Get a small e-ink (2″) display, hook it up to a rpi or beaglebone black
- Get a used pixelqi display and install it in something like a used lenovo s10-3
- Get a freewrite and hack it to be an ssh terminal. Freewrite themselves don’t like that idea.
- Get a used OLPG with pixelqi display.
So is there anyone in the community with similar goals? What are you using? How’s it working for you?