If you are looking for a new phone that either respects your privacy, leaves you in control, or just has a different form factor from the now ubiquitous 6″ slab, there are quite a few projects in various states of readiness
- librem 5
Different form factors:
- unihertz atom and titan
- gemini and cosmo
Earlier this year I bought a pinephone, braveheart edition. I’ve tried several OSes on it. Just yesterday, I tried:
- sailfish: looked great, but it would not recognize sim, and crashed when launching browser.
- ubports (ubuntu touch): looked good, texting worked, but crashed when launching app store and would not ring on incoming calls.
- mobian: nice set of default apps, but again would not ring on incoming calls.
So I’m back to running what I’ve had on it for a month or two – sxmo, the suckless mobile operating system. It’s an interesting, different take on> interacting with the phone, and I quite like it. More importantly, for now it’s the most reliable as a communication devvice. With it, I can
- make and receive calls and texts.
- send texts using vi :).
- easily send/receive mail using mbsync, mutt, and msmtp.
- easily customize using scripts – editing existing ones, and adding new ones to the menu system.
- use a cozy, known setup (dwm, st, tmux, sshd)
- change call and text ringtone based on the caller – few other phones I’ve had have done that, not one did it well.
- have a good browsing experience.
- use both wifi and 4G data. I’ve not hotspotted, but can see no reason why that will be a problem.